Friday, September 14, 2007

Late Summer Cooking

Now I know the secret to making a perfect steak:


Salt the heck out of it 1-3 hours before cooking. Wash. Dry. Put in super hot oil. Perfect.
I found the instructions here. A little pat of compound butter never hurts either. This here is a ribeye, salted for 1.5 hours. The salt pulls into the meat, changing proteins and seasoning throughout the meat, making it tender with a mouthwatering beefy flavor. Jem was tortured.


I also made pizza with dough from scratch! and marinara from scratch! and basil I grew! and pepperoni I cured! Ok, that last one is a lie.

Then a corn chowder using lots of veggies, potatoes from Idaho (Thanks Miranda!) and topped with leftover steak. Oh, and homemade cheddar-parmesan biscuits.


Here are some honey mustard chicken wings with avocado, corn, blue cheese salad. On the right are some delicious toffee bars.


Behold! I make salsa now! I loves it so. Julia suggested a salsa making party. It was fun and tasty.









And we discovered a new use for Jem. She's a thorough paper shredder.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Izzy is a good paper shredder too!