Monday, November 15, 2010

Cold Weather Eye Candy

Brrr! Winter is coming, I can really feel it now. Here are some ways we are celebrating our favorite time of year.

Hearty elk stew!  Ben has gotten to know our neighbors fairly well (I only know the two men we share walls with).  He made friendly with a hunter and got four bundles of freshly killed wild elk.  Look at that blood!  Chunky potatoes and a branch of sage from my garden rounded it out. 

Jack got some warm things to keep him snuggly in the snow.  This snow suit has room to grow, but he liked wearing it now. (On the right, he's trying to suck his fingers)
I can't express how happy these knit rompers from Hanna Andersson make me.  He has another one in plain red and white he hasn't worn yet.  Cozy Scandinavian-ness with blue baby eyes - bliss!


While in Bailey Jack met Natasha.  She loves being scratched so much she'll even let a baby do it.  Jack has become very interested in our pets lately.  (PS to Mom, those are the monster PJs from the Parmelies.  Kirsty is the one who introduced me to the Scandinavian store.)

Just a nice shadow on a crisp November day.

Knitting knitting knitting.  I made this hat in one day.  I wanted something big and poofy.  

Annual First-Snow waffles.  You need Lars Pearl Sugar to make these authentic Belgian Waffles.  No syrup required.

Marshmallows with 4 vanilla beans.  I feel it is my duty to give a bag of homemade marshmallows to Dad every winter.  
Also, a fragrant rosemary tree perfuming my kitchen.  I only wish I was better at keeping these alive longer.  I always over or under water them.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yummy marshmallows!!

-Pops

Heather said...

Rachel, seriously, I'm going to just invite myself over for dinner sometime. Maybe you can inspire me, and at least Jon-Michael will have a nice meal for once! And Jack is so adorable!