Friday, June 16, 2006

What is going on anyway?

Work: We're running a study, which means a ton of boring adminstrative tasks mixed with interviewing depressed people on the phone all day.

Dance: The recital is over (yea!) and I'm still waiting for the DVD. Hopefully I can have a copy by 7/1 so I can show my family when they visit. I've been curious in starting up modern dance again. This week Christina was auditioning a new modern teacher so anyone could take the class for free. I am no longer curious about modern. Partially because I didn't like how he ran class. The first hour was brutish "warm-up" = fast difficult exercises, including neck rolls, push-ups, and core work (sit-ups where you bring both your upper body and your legs into the air, so you're balancing on your bum, and you do various leg movements while supporting yourself with you abs). Ordinarily I would be up for this sort of thing, but it was too much too early in the class. The last half hour got more dancy and fun. However, I think it's too early for me to venture into another style. I took ballet for 10 years and then added modern dance for another 3 years. It took some time to adjust to the different techniques. Even though I've been back at ballet for 1 1/2 years now, it was too confusing to my body to turn in my legs, contract at the waist, etc. I'll stick to ballet for now.

Film: My friends are doing a movie this July. I was really excited until the script was chosen, which I don't like very much. I'm probably just going to do production design with Ben (dressing sets, costumes, make-up) though I may act in a minor female role if needed. Discussion on our movie can be read on the forum.

Home: We're in the early stages of looking into the possibility of owning home. There's no plan, we're just poking about. We're going to meet with a loan officer to see if it's really feasible for us to own yet. This is driven by a number of factors. 1) Although our current living space is nice, the complex is getting really trashy. Bad neighbors. 2) I want my own walls so I can blare music and play ddr loudly. 3) Owning is better than renting in general. 4) Perhaps we could cut down our commutes to work. 5) It feels like it's time to grow and mature a little bit. We signed a shorter lease this year to give us an open door. But seriously, we're staying pretty neutral on this issue. It may not be a good idea until next year. We're just looking into it.

Church: Still teaching the 5 year olds. In fact, I have to prepare two lessons for this weekend since we have to give Sharing Time in addition to our regular class. I like the kids, but I've been at this calling longer than any other. I'm weary of teaching and it would be nice to be taught instead. Oh well.

Crafts: I'm sorely in need of a new project. I have no ideas for sewing for myself and it's the wrong season for knitting. Maybe I'll make a buttload of baby shoes and ship them to Kristin.

Cat: Loveable as always.

Ben: Wonderful as always. The man scheduled me a massage appointment last week when I had a stressful day. How perfect is that?! He told me he likes his job (!) and is doing well at school. By the way, he is no longer taking formal classes. The MCSE certification requires that he schedule his own tests and pay for them in addition to tuition. His college has stopped offering some of the courses he needs anyway, so he's going to study from his own books on his day off and skip the tuition part. I think it's a good plan, now that the first semester gave him a jumpstart. Also he's learning the banjo.

Freetime: Keeping up with the Economist and watching South Park

So all is well. Just busy busy busy.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

You still do not like the script, even with the re-writes of Sam covering up the track and skipping town?

I can be your new project...I want to dress like a human being.

No one ever owns a house...the house owns you.

-Renting4life