Saturday, June 03, 2006

Ballet Recital is ON


Yea! One night down and two to go.

I got hit with a yucky cold this week, which really dragged down my spirits for the dance recital. Nevertheless, I went to the spacing run throughs and dress rehearsals to get my girls in prime condition. They had their first show last night and another tonight and tomorrow afternoon. I'm helping with quick costume changes during the shows (though not Sunday's) and Christina has me come out with the teachers to be introduced and bow at the end of the show. It's really weird to be on a stage and not have anyone to search for in the audience. In fact, I haven't been on a stage in a long time! Maybe Christina (the dance program director) will wrangle me into dancing on one. She hinted at it earlier this year.

I've posted one of the dances I choreographed on Google Video. Please consider the following excuses while viewing:
  • This was the dress rehearsal, so Christina makes some comments and there's no applause at the end.
  • This was the first time the girls had to do the entire show full out without stopping.
  • They've already been dancing for 1 1/2 hours, mostly grand and petit allegros.
  • My dances are the last two in the show, so they are completely wiped out by this point.
  • They didn't have a warm-up that day.
  • In my haze of sickness, I neglected to turn off the auto-focus and adjust for low lighting, so the quality is poor.

This is probably the 3rd worst performance they've given of my dance, because of the above mentioned factors. They did much better last night, and I'm proud of their final performances. I'll get a professionally made DVD of the show later, and I'd be happy to show any family and friends what it really looked like. This is just a taste.

And now that I'm filled with yummy panang curry, I'm going to get ready for tonight's show. Ta Ta!

No comments: