Sunday, August 20, 2006

A little part of me died

The revival of Pirates of Penzance was a staple in my musical theater repertoire as a young girl. Not only a funny show and fun to pretend I could sing along with the soprano, but it had two handsome pirates in thigh-high leather boots with luscious perms.


Though Kevin Kline's charisma has a certain pull, my girlish crush fell on Frederic, played by Rex Smith. Those earnest eyes, the tiny ponytail, the way he over-enunciated each and every word with those pouty lips. I had forgotten about his capacity to make me swoon until we saw the play in Park City, prompting me to re-watch Amanda's copy of the Joseph Papp production.




But where is Rex now? I think I heard he was doing more shows on Broadway, maybe even a Tony nomination or two. Hmm, let's wander over to his official website . . .








Is there anything sadder than this?

4 comments:

chitarita said...

Aw, that is sad. At least I have memories of seeing him in "Pimpernel" to try to replace that Remax business card image with....

Sarah K said...

That's pretty scary, I'm sorry for your loss.

I must say about that revival, however--Linda Ronstadt as Mabel? I mean, I love her, don't get me wrong...but I think she should stick to traveling "to the beat of a different drum."

Bruce said...

Well, as Socrates once said:

"Justice will be served,
and the battle will rage.
This big dog will fight
if you rattle his cage."

Oh wait. That was Mr. Keith.

I'm sorry for your loss...almost as sorry as I am for the irrelevant misquote.

Bruce said...

ps I have a luscious perm.

-ft