Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Placentas are cool

School started again and it's good so far. I have OB - lecture all this week, half lecture half rotation starting next week. The professor has the obligatory baby-love and cutsieness (The picture you see was the first slide she showed in class) but so far she matches it with physiological knowledge and thorough lectures. I would be more annoyed with her talk of God and "baby" versus "fetus" if she hadn't been so upfront about her opinions. As long as she acknowledges that she addresses her lectures with a spiritual tone I'm ok with it. Also, it's a jesuit university, so I feel like this sort of thing comes with the package. Labor and Delivery is definitely an area I'm interested in specializing. Not because of the "Oh look at the baaaabeee" factor. Newborns are kind of gross. No, I'm interested because I think it would be a nice balance of routine and excitement. I can expect the course that each patient's stay will take, so I'll have some nice routine there. But there's always the chance for disaster and strange occurances, giving little adenaline rushes that appeals to me the same way OR, ICU, and ER do. Most L&D patients are going to come in healthy (bonus) and probably leave after just a short stay, hopefully fairly healthy (another bonus). The emotional issues may get the best of me. As I get older I get more tearful when babies are born in movies. Also the family stress may be too much. Who knows if I'll actually like it, but it's up there on my list of things to try. I'm also stoked because this next rotation is at my local hospital. It's a super short commute and a place I would potentially like to work! Next week I also start an 8 week course of Evidence Based Research in Nursing on Mondays. It's another loose, liberal arts education class. I hope it's more interesting and useful than our last "bachelor program" style class.


natalie dee
nataliedee.com

I started a knitting streak on break thanks to free time, cooler temperatures, and joining Ravelry. I have a very portable project now and took it into class yesterday and today to knit during breaks. (Actually the prof came up to chat about knitting and quilting and said that it helps her listen, and said she was totally cool with me knitting DURING lecture - sweet!). I've brought in my knitting at least a dozen times and every single day at least 5 people come up to talk to me about it. I'm grateful for the chance to make friends, but it gets kind of annoying. Natalie Dee hits it on the head with her comic. Knitting is not that hard. I think anyone can do it. If you really want to then you should learn! I didn't learn until high school and I taught myself all the advanced stitches. If you used to knit then bring it in! Don't say to me every day how you should bring it in. I don't care if you do or not. Ok, my gripe is done. Thanks for listening :-)

No comments: