Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Springtime Baby Shower

Saturday I had the loveliest of parties hosted by Miranda and Sarah.  They provided delicious and beautiful snacks and desserts, tangerine and turquoise decorations, and invited a variety of friends from all different points of my life.  It was wonderful to see all these special women from school and work over the years, and I'm so grateful to have their influence in my life.  My mom also drove all the way from Grand Junction to attend!  I trust that Miranda will soon post pictures on her site, or email some to me so I can post them.

I feel much better about welcoming a baby into our house.  We got a lot of cute and practical clothes, footie pajamas, and I might venture to say that we have enough onesies. Gasp! I also got a nice start to his library and toy collection. 
My parents helped immensely by shopping for a crib and changing table!  The baby now has a safe place sleep and I feel less anxiety about my lack of nesting so far.  We have a place to sleep, clothes to wear, and a good carseat courtesy of Ben's parents.  Throw in a pack of diapers and we could be set if needed.  Of course there are many many small things that make life easier.  I have a wishlist on amazon to keep track of all the little things we can pick up between now and the birth.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed at how much I need to do still.  Here's a list of things accomplished to make me feel better:
  • Nursery room emptied
  • Carpets cleaned
  • New craft space established
  • New couch in the basement
  • Finished a handmade flannel blanket
  • Toys
  • Books
  • Queen bed for me and Ben
  • DVR and netflix queue for late nights and being stuck at home
  • Saved up money to cover the hospital bill
  • Got a portable AC to survive the hot summer 
  • Registered and toured at the hospital
Things to do still:
  • Arrange and fill-in the nursery with supplies
  • Find a dresser (maybe?)
  • Fix the bathroom sink and fan, and anything else that breaks between now and May
  • Paperwork to HR for maternity leave (cannot complete for another month)
  • Take a birthing class
  • Finish the sweater vest I'm knitting
  • Give the bathrooms a deep cleaning
  • Pick a pediatrician
So that's not too bad, right?

2 comments:

chitarita said...

You forgot
- See Addams Family in New York
- Watch new episodes of Doctor Who
- Finish teaching white mountain kids how to dance

All of which are very important. :)

Serin said...

Congrats on the crib and changing table! You got it all now - bed, diapers, car set and boobies. All you need is the baby ;)