Friday, October 08, 2010

Fight the Frump

What is it about post-partum and feeling like a frumpy house-frau?  I have to wear blue and black, bleach and blood stained baggy clothes to work.  When I'm home I either wear baggy comfortable clothes, or a mish-mash of things bought over the past 15 years that don't fit very well, are out of style, or are plain unflattering but purchased because they were such a steal.  This needs to stop.  In the words of Twist, "Stop feeling like a fat, ugly failure."

After two weeks of tenuous consideration I marched into Old Navy today and tried on 9 pairs of skinny jeans.  I hated this trend three years ago.  But seeing that it is still around, and all my bootcut pants hide my legs (my one good body feature I have left), and reading online that bootcuts are becoming the new "mom jeans" I took the plunge.  For $16 each it isn't a big risk.  I bought two pairs and I'm wearing them around the house today with tags on to see if they will really work.

High on my triumph, I went to Ulta to find new foundation.  For years I've used a drugstore powder.  It's time to upgrade.  I was in the store for only 90 seconds, but accosted by 4 glowing, beautifully made-up women offering me help.  I started sweating and felt like hiding my unmade face and tangled hair, quickly becoming overwhelmed by the many expensive foundation options.  I retreated to the car, vowing to return with my sister for moral support, and a nicer outfit and base face. If skinny jeans took me 2 weeks and 9 pairs, I better do my research before returning to Ulta.  One step at a time.

Let's not even talk about my hair problems.

Instead, here's a cute picture of my baby!  Distraction!  I'm going to knit and watch 30 Rock!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

I am so freakin' proud of you with the skinny jeans. I've been coming around to the idea myself although I'm pretty much terrified. I bet they look awesome on you.

eaumaison said...

Thank you! This article is what finally swayed me http://www.aintnomomjeans.com/2010/10/new-style-rules-for-moms-part-2.html

PS, their latest post is about Clementine Studios in Boulder. If you were visiting for longer I would encourage a trip there with our kids. Alas.

Miranda said...

Crap. "bootcuts are the new mom jeans" is very troubling to me. Double crap. Now I HAVE to get skinny jeans. And boots.

Kristin said...

AH! Boot cut are Mom jeans!!!? Oh no! I'm with Miranda- that's troubling.

Also- have you tried Bare Minerals? I love it.