Wednesday, June 03, 2015

NYC Day 2

Saturday we played it lazy in the morning, relishing our quiet room and cozy bed.  At 10:30 we hit the subway tracks to the Met Museum.  Of course it was spectacular.  We could have spent the whole day there I'm sure.  We did the Greek sculptures, Medieval Art and the Amory, then up to the European artists: Impressionists, Dutch art in the far corner, El Greco's work, finishing with the frilly French of the 1700s. 

Armory - always cool. 

New York City 2015

Got a close look of this hammered plate of "Wife Beating Husband."  I figured out why she is beating him.
New York City 2015
He's got her niddy-noddy!  Don't mess with a girl's yarn!

Getting a little cranky, diagnosed hunger and dehydration.  The atrium is a very pretty place to eat, even if the sandwich had too much mustard (and Ben drank my drink!  It clearly has my name on it! ;-)
New York City 2015


We made sure to stop on the rooftop garden to take in the skyline (where the previous blog post of us was taken).

New York City 2015

Eventually you have to step out of the Met.  Even though we'd barely glanced through half the departments, our level of enjoyment versus level of tiredness ratio was dropping. 
New York City 2015

On the way back to the subway we popped in Lady M Confections for delicious things.  We picked out their Signature Mille Crepes cake
New York City 2015

and an eclair because eclairs are my FAVORITE thing ALWAYS.

New York City 2015

Marching onward to the subway, we found Butterfield Market on Lexington.  Despite the above mentioned pastries knocking my knees in a bag at my side, I couldn't resist the delectables in the window.  We stared slack-jawed at the shelves and displays and settled on fresh juice.  Holy Nectar of the Gods.  Maybe it was the heat and the fatigue, but my Basil Lemonade and Ben's Blackberry juice tasted like heaven in a plastic cup.  As we rode the train back with sweaty bodies pressed against us I took little sips of pure bliss. 
New York City 2015
New York City 2015

Showers and rest, then fancy duds for the evening's entertainment. 

New York City 2015

The night before I booked a table at Boulud Sud near Lincoln Center.  They offered a Pre-Theater Prix Fixe that looked good to both of us.

Fried Artichokes, Pea and Morel Gnocchi for Ben, Mediterraean Mezze plate for me. 

New York City 2015

Tuna for Ben, Chicken Tangine for me

New York City 2015

Ben's (AMAZING) vermicelli milk pudding and my chocolate torte. 

New York City 2015

Stuffed and satisfied (thank you mom!) we took photos in front of the Met Opera house while we waited for the doors to open. 

New York City 2015

New York City 2015

 

abt sleeping beauty 2015 v2 from AD Lubow on Vimeo.

This was the event I was most excited to see.  We had tickets in the center of 12th row of the orchestra section to see Sleeping Beauty by the ABT, the country's most prestigious ballet company. 

New York City 2015

New York City 2015

It was everything I hoped for.  Outstanding dance performances, stunning costumes, hair whiffing conductor, Enormous sets, all placed on a classic ballet.

(Pictures Below found online.)

The fairies were gorgeous and fun and precise. 


The finale had many characters revived from the original productions.  Our Diamond fairy was spectacular.  Bluebird (Misty Copeland) and her cavalier were also exceptional.


The queen rocked a crown, wig, and dress that would fit right in at Beach Blanket Babylon. 


Ben and I thought this color choice for the Garland dance was stunning.  My next knitting project might be inspired by this mustard and turquoise combination. 

It was perfect.  Ben said he heard me making involuntary grunts of approval and awe throughout.  How lucky am I to have a husband who enjoys ballet with me? 

Another happy day to reflect on when we collapsed in bed. 

No comments: