Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Nouvelle Vague

I saw Nouvelle Vague (French for New Wave) at the Gothic last night. (Monday night concerts are a bad idea . . . reeeeally tired today)

Nouvelle Vague is a French band that plays covers of New Wave songs, like The Cure, Depeche Mode, and The Clash. Two guys redo the musical arrangements in bossa nova style. Then they recruit a variety of female vocalists. Last night there were two singers, both fantastic.

The show was energetic, well staged and rehearsed, but at the same time you knew there was a lot of improvisation going on. The girls donned unique, smart dresses with killer shoes (seriously, I covet the accordion player's black Mary Jane pumps) and showed a flagrant love of stockings (black stockings with a white and green dress?? Love it!). The men weren't shabby either; the bassists' white ruffled pirate shirt seeming oddly appropriate.

Ah but the music. Easily my favorite band these days. I'm a sucker for distinctive, throaty, honey feminine vocals, such as Dido, Sarah Nixey, and Frou Frou. Combine that with some of my favorite 80s pop music and blend in a smooth danceable beat. I loved the singers' floaty, arm waving choreography, very 60s pop. Despite the medium-sized crowd they kept the energy up and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

You should check out there music here. And you should see them if they come to your town. And you should buy me a t-shirt, because I didn't have enough cash at the concert.

No comments: