Sunday, June 06, 2010

Postpartum blues

Jack is doing great.  I'm not so hot.  Well, strike that, I'm very hot.  Our house feels like we're in the middle of summer.  We have our new portable swamp cooler running the bedroom round the clock and we turn on the main floor wall AC unit midday.  The animals are sprawled out on the floors.  Jack doesn't need a hat or even a blanket most of the time. 

I thought I was on the fast track to healing last week but I seem to have hit a wall.  Yesterday and today have been awful.  I feel dizzy when I walk too long or get up too fast.  My right leg feels weak, where I had gracilis pain during the pregnancy.  It burns when I pee.  In fact, that whole area still hurts and often itches.  I've been feeling queasy and nothing sounds good to eat.  I get headaches often.  I have uncontrollable crying spells.  My boobs are too enthusiastic about supply and hurt when Jack cries or goes more than two hours without eating. 

Speaking of which, Jack, we need to get your sleep sorted out.  He seemed to be on a good schedule of eating at 9, 11, 3:30, and 6:30 throughout the night.  He roughly stuck to this all week.  Then last night he decided he needed to eat every two hours.  I was up at 8, 10, 12, 2:20, 4:30, 6:30, and 8.  Too much, buddy!  Each time he's up it takes me an hour to feed him, change him, get him back to sleep, and fall asleep myself.  So at most I had an hour of sleep off and on.  Ugh.  Today he's back on the 3+ hour schedule.  I've taken two naps today but still feel exhausted.  The heat isn't helping. 

Yeah, yeah.  Welcome to parenthood.  I get it.  Can't wait for this part to be over though so I can enjoy being a parent.

5 comments:

Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail said...

Yes, Rachel, it does get better. Hang in there, one day at a time for now, and I'll guarantee you and Ben and Jack will find many joys together . Just think, some day you'll get to be the grandparent ..... now, that is really awesome :)

Serin said...

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, Rachel! Are you open to nursing laying down? I swear it's a life saver.

Gail is right, one day at a time. How are you with dinners?

chitarita said...

Hey! I'm hot, itchy, nauseous, and up at strange hours of the night too! Maybe I've got sympathy symptoms....

I ate another mangosteen yesterday just for you.

eaumaison said...

Serin, I've tried side-lying a couple times. He's not a fan but I can make him do it. Of course, usually the feeding is followed by a diaper change, so I might as well be sitting up. We have ward members bringing us dinners this week, thankfully. But anytime you want to come visit is fine with me!