Thursday, June 10, 2010

Second week updates

Things are quiet and fine in the Mason house.  Some milestones:
  • Three nights in a row with greater than 2 hour sleep stretches.  Yay, Jack!
  • We went to Park Day with some other moms.  It was nice to be out in the open and visit with other people. 
  • Jack's cord fell off this morning!  Besides looking nicer without the grody dead cord, this has two outcomes
    • Jack can take a submerged bath!  (no pictures, sorry ;-) He seemed confused, like "hey this is nice and soothing, but wait!  I'm naked and I hate being naked!  But I'm warm . . ."  I cleaned up all the dried bits of milk and dead skin flakes, then gave him a nice coating of lotion.  I guess Colorado is a bit too dry for him because he's had some cracked spots.  
    • I can really try the cloth diapers now.  They are too big for his tiny bum and wrap up to the navel.  Before his cord fell off I could see that they were irritating him.  We'll probably always do a combination of cloth and disposable, but I can finally give cloth a real try-out. 
  • Jack took his first bottle this morning.  Nothing difficult about it.  I just pumped, put the lid on, handed it to Ben, and stuck it in Jack's mouth.  He slurped it down happily and fell into a milk-drunk nap for the last two hours.  I wanted to try out bottle feeding together before asking Ben to do it solo as a favor in the future.  Also, if we want to leave him with eager grandparents I wanted to be sure he would eat ok.  
And what about me?
  • I'm down to 400 mg ibuprofen 2x a day (from 600 mg 3-4x a day).  
  • My chest is much less swollen.  Maybe there's hope I'll ever fit in my old tops again.
  • Ben went to work yesterday and I did NOT freak out about being home alone with the baby all day.
  • But then I made him take me to Freddy's for hamburgers and fries.  Yum!
  • Yesterday I shaved my legs!  Hello to breezy summer skirts!
  • Our ward has been bringing us food this week and it has been so nice.  Our fridge is full of healthy food as well as desserts. 
  • I still think boredom and loneliness will be my biggest problems this summer.  I might have to join a mom's group so I have more socialization to look forward to. 
More baby pictures!! (click on them to enlarge)

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Yay! Such a happy update! That picture of him in the yellow shirt is freakin' fantastic.

Serin said...

Yay for all the progress - yours and Jack's! Thanks for the "moment" at the park. I think I had another one just looking at his pictures. ;)

chitarita said...

Hey, give me a month and then I'm all about hanging out with you and Jack. We can craft, you can catch me up on SYTYCD (i.e. who you hate this season and what had Wade done so far), go get some Sweet Action, and enjoy air conditioning.