Friday, May 20, 2011

Jack says his first word

I think it's official - Jack's first word is "dog."

We noticed during the last week that he's been saying "dadadadada" and "duhduhduhduh" when he sees Jem.  Yesterday and today he's been working hard on it, saying "dddddddddddduh" with a strained look on his face.  Actually making his hypochondriac parents wonder if he has a stutter.  But I think he was just concentrating on the sounds.*

I wasn't sure when a parent should declare a first word, since it's kind of a work in progress for so long.  He's been saying mamama and dadada for a long time, though not exclusively about us.  In fact, Dad usually gets a "Hi-yeum!" and I get "Hi!" when I come home.  Ben thinks he even said "nana" when offered a banana yesterday. 

But today with prodding from me he definitely said "dog."  He even said it at the grocery store to a guide dog.  Ben says he heard Jack duhduh to Molly once, and I saw him saying it to a monkey puppet.  It's a non-specific term, but I'm still going with FIRST WORD TODAY!

And lucky you, I have video!  I threw in his attempt to blow a kiss.  Another brand new skill. 



*Miranda, if you would be so kind as to review the short dddehdeh he does in the beginning - an abbreviated version of the strained d sound he was doing all day, and assure us that our 11 month old doesn't have a stutter, we would very much appreciate it. We know we are overly worried idiot parents, but we still want to know.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Huzzah for first words!

Your 11 month old does not have a stutter. He does however have a very age appropriate and rockin' /d/ sound.

And I would add /nana/ to the list of words that he says. Especially if he does it again.

You're not idiot parents. :)

eaumaison said...

Whew! Thank you! Our minds are at ease.