Monday, September 16, 2013

Sam at home

I know that I should write out some details of Sam's birth before I forget them all.  But I'm grasping at brain cells here.  Sam slept like an angel at the hospital, but his first night home was fairly awful.   He just wouldn't stay asleep.  Cluster feeding galore, and my milk came in.  He was struggling with a gurgling tummy and frequent poops all night.  I think I slept for 30 minutes between 10 and 11 pm, then I fed him, got another 10 minutes of sleep, then he was awake from 12:30 until pretty much 6:30 in the morning.  I got him to settle a few times, but when I checked the clock on waking only 5-10 minutes had passed each time.  Ben rescued me in the morning and I took a little 30 minute nap while everyone else was downstairs.

So no big stories right now.  A few comments though:
  • Longer, painful labor and longer delivery than with Jack.  But recovery is better this time.  Less tearing, experience, and expectations are helping.  
  • Sam was 9 pounds 8 ounces and 20 1/2 inches.  For comparison, Jack was 9 pounds 1 ounce and 21 1/2 inches.
  • He has light brown short hair, almost reddish in color.  
  • He's perfectly healthy.  A little yellow-eyed today so we got some sunshine.
  • Baby heads = better cheek rubbing than the most luxurious yarn.  I can't get enough.  
  •  Jack is a total dear.  He is super helpful and loves Sam.  He can tell the house routine is kind of a mess, but he's coping well.
How about some pictures?  These are from my second day postpartum, going home on Sunday, and a few from today.

Sam days 0-3


Sam days 0-3

Sam days 0-3

Sam days 0-3

Sam days 0-3

Sam days 0-3

Sam at 4 days

Sam at 4 days

Sam at 4 days
Sam at 4 days

Sam day 4

Sam day 4

No comments: