Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer time at home

While Amanda is adventuring across the globe, she asked that I post more on my blog to appease her homesickness (which is mild, I'm sure).  I explained that I haven't been having a great time with work lately, so I haven't been in the mood.  But I guess I can conjure up some at home stuff to write about for my dear sister.

Jack is getting more confident and careless while running around.  We had some scrapes this week.

I'm trying to get him away from the TV more often.  They get addicted so soon!  We went to story time at the library yesterday and today.  I can see his little brain figuring out the routines and games involved.  He's so shy, but already getting braver about participating.  He's also better about not hitting other kids. 





I must be knitting too much.  I've had constant pain in my hands and forearms for over a week.  I try to take frequent breaks, stretching and resting my arms.  It's no fun not being able to knit for hours like I want to!  Those on Ravelry can see I have a lot of projects in the works.  This is the first summer where I haven't wanted to slow down my knitting. 

Today I'm making an effort not to knit at all and to minimize iPhone use, in case all that finger and thumb work is contributing too.  Sewing is not my best craft anymore.  I'm out of practice and impatient.  I know!  You would think knitting takes more patience.  But it takes so much more effort to set up a piece by sewing than knitting does.  You can pick up needles and yarn, start or stopping willy-nilly.  But sewing involves lots of space, planning, prepping, thread, pins, measuring, and cursing at the pattern because the marks NEVER line up for me.

I've had this great jersey stripe fabric for a while with a top from Burda in mind.  It came out a little boxy, but I think it will look nice with skinny jeans.  (I did iron it after taking these pictures.)
I didn't bother to hem anything, so all the edges are raw.  The jersey won't fray.  This was a simple project.  It took longer to sign in to buy the pdf, print, and tape it together than it did to cut and sew the actual shirt. 

So that's life this week!   Oh, did you know you can buy bags of ice at McDonald's for $1?  I send Ben to fetch once every couple days.  I like to have a giant cup of ice water with me all day long. 

Happy birthday Dad!  I hope we see you on Facetime tonight. 

1 comment:

chitarita said...

Yay! I like the Band-Aids, I like the shirt (definitely with skinny jeans), and I really like you for giving me a little taste of home, even if you did taunt me with the mention of ice.